Black Bean Burgers with Fries
Makes approximately 6 servings
❏ 2 medium russet potatoes
❏ 1 medium white sweet potato
❏ 1 medium orange sweet potato
❏ 1½ - 2 tbsp avocado oil (more as needed)
Black Bean Burger Patties
❏ ½ large onion, minced
❏ 2 medium carrots, grated
❏ 1 clove garlic (optional)
❏ 1 tbsp ketchup
❏ 2 tbsp soy sauce
❏ 1½ tbsp mustard (yellow or dijon)
❏ 1½ cups quick-cooking oats
❏ 1 cup black beans
❏ 2 tsp cumin
❏ 1½ tsp chili powder
❏ 3 tbsp avocado oil (for cooking)
❏ 8 organic burger buns
❏ 1 large organic cucumber
❏ 1 head romaine lettuce
❏ 3 roma tomatoes
❏ 2 large avocados
❏ ketchup, to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to bake at 400 F.
2. Chop potatoes and sweet potatoes into thin, 3 inch fries. Put in a bowl and mix with avocado oil. Add enough to lightly coat the fries.
3. Once the oven has heated, transfer fries to a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until crisp on the bottom (approx. 15 minutes) and then flip to cook the other side (approx. 10 minutes).
Black Bean Burgers
1. Heat 1 tbsp avocado oil, then add minced cumin and chili powder to mix with the oil.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Then add grated carrots and cook until tender (3-5 minutes).
3. Spread out your cooked mixture on a plate and place in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes to cool.
4. Mash beans in a medium mixing bowl. Then add ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, oats, and carrot/onion mixture. Mix everything.
5. From the mixture, form 8 burger patties...you'll have to use your hands for this part ;)
6. In a large pan, drizzle approx. 1 tbsp avocado oil so the base of the pan is lightly coated.
7. Place 4 burger patties to cook at a time over medium heat. Cook each side of the patty approximately 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
1. Thinly slice tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado.
2. Wash and cut lettuce into long pieces.
3. Warm buns in the oven, pan, or toaster.
4. Assemble your delicious burger, adding condiments as desired. Enjoy!